DIY PCB Etching
Hello World ,In this post I will be showing how make your own printed circuit board from your house in few simple steps
What is a PCB?
A printed circuit board (PCB) mechanically supports and electrically connects electronic components using conductive tracks, pads and other features etched from copper sheets laminated onto a non-conductive substrate. A printed circuit board has pre-designed copper tracks on a conducting sheet. The pre-defined tracks reduce the wiring thereby reducing the faults arising due to lose connections. One needs to simply place the components on the PCB and solder them.
Things you need
Design your layout using the any those CAD software.Print the mirrored layout of your circuit in a glossy paper/magazine paper.
Prepare your Board
- Cut the copper clad according to the size of layout using a cutter
- Clean the board by scrubbing the board by a steel scrub .Scrub till shines wells,This removes the oxide layer
- Place the copper side facing up. Align paper on to the board with the printing facing the copper. Do not allow it to move.
- Press the iron box on the back of the paper make sure you give equal pressure at all place .Repeat the process for 4-5 minutes
- Dip the board in cold water soak the board in cold water for 5 minutes
- Peel the wet paper from the board leaving only the print.If the paper is not comes of easily gently scrub using your finger
- Once the whole paper is removed from the board sometimes there will be some place where the ink has not transferred properly use a permanent marker for draw the circuit
Alternate Method for preparing small board
If you making not to big or complex board the you can use a permanent marker for drawing the layout of your board
PREPARING THE ETCHING SOLUTION
Use gloves while preparing the solution
- Take a bowl and fill 500ml of water to it.
- Add 150-200g of Ferric chloride powder to the water ,mix the solution well
Now the etching solution is ready for etching the board. Now take the board to which the circuit has been transferred and dip the board on to the solution keeping the copper facing up Gently shake the shake to and fro till the entire unwanted copper is removed from the board. Once the whole is completely etched take the board from the solution and clean it with fresh water. For removing the remaining ink, soak a piece of cloth or cotton in thinner(nail polish remover) and wipe the board
DRILLING THE HOLES
Drill the holes in you board using PCB hand drill and solder your components.While drilling make sure you hold the driller perpendicular to the surface of the board otherwise there is chance in breaking the bit