DIY Wifi Repeater using ESP8266 NodeMCU
The most frustrating moment while browsing is the drop-in of the Wifi signal. If you’re living in a 2 storey house and the wifi modem is on the ground floor most of the time you won’t be getting good signal strength on the top floor. In this article, I will be showing you how to create your own DIY cheap wifi repeater using only an Esp8266 NodeMCU.
Things you need
- ESP8266 NodemMCU
- ESPFlashDownloadTool (Software)
- Firmware for NodeMCU
Step 1 : Download all the required files
- Download and extract the ESP Flash Download tool from the official website of Espressif Systems. Here is the download link
- Download the esp_wifi_repeater GitHub repository by martin-ger, No need to download the entire repository, only 2 binary files need to be downloaded.
Download 0x00000.bin and 0x02000.bin
Step 2 : Flash the firmware
- Open the flash_download_tools_v3.6.8.exe file
- Select ESP8266 DownloadTool
- Select the 2 previously downloaded binary files. and change the settings as per the below image.
- Verify the COM port using the device manager and select the proper one
- Press Start, I will take less than 30 seconds to flash it.
Step 3 : Configure the Wifi
- Once the flash is successfully completed, restart your NodeMCU.
- Check the available Wifi network, there should be a network with name MyAP, connect to that network. This is the access point created by NodeMCU
- Open any browser and go to the IP address 192.168.4.1
If the page is not loading try 192.168.4.0/24 (0 – 24)
- In the STA Settings enter the name of Wifi network whose signal need to be extended. both SSID , Password and click connect
- Now in AP Settings enter SSID and password for the new Wifi network (Extended wifi name), you can even set different password for the extended network. and click Set
- Check your available wifi network you can see your new extended wifi network.
If you have any questions please leave in the comment session .